Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Traveling Around....

So, I have been placed in a town that is very small and incredibly rural!  Yet, as I am finding out...its advantages are actually outweighing the 30 minute train ride to civilization.  Here are a few things that I have been doing around Japan that are fun and incredibly interesting (at least to me)! Most of these will be pictures because it is so much easier to show you than to explain using my own words, which will inevitably fall short.  
TRICK ART MUSEUM- in Tokyo, this museum is all about optical illusions and tricking your mind.  It takes 2D art and makes it seem as if it is real!  It is really fun and I felt like a kid playing around in a museum where I could actually touch EVERYTHING!!  Yay!

Got to go down the stairs to get to the next room...

Is he strong enough?

Careful...Careful!

Monster Lady

Here I am actually lying down on my side!!  Do you see it???

Is that a mirror?

TOKYO ICE BAR-Although this is a little redundant, the Tokyo Ice Bar is a bar made completely out of ice.  When you arrive they give you a nice warm poncho with gloves attached.  When you open the door you go from sweltering hot Tokyo to a frozen wonderland.  Tables, walls, and pillars are made out of ice along with chairs and, of course, your cups.  




Brr...



An ice table which doubles as a drinking game!



SUMO-So a group of us ALTs went to see a Sumo match in Tokyo.  It was a great cultural experience and I actually really enjoyed the game...go figure!

Outside of the Sumo Stadium in Tokyo.

The ring is supposed to resemble a Shinto Shrine.



Well...I hope you enjoyed this pictorial account of my times in Japan so far.  I still have many other posts, so look forward to one on my school that I teach at (Ina Gakuen) and our school festival!  Until next time...Sayonnara!!

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful photos - worth many thousand words! Thank you for sharing - and extending my joy of Japan --- even after I left.
    Keep on enjoying the wonderful things Japan has to offer !
    And reciprocate by teaching their students the best you can ( which is the only standard you are accustomed to , anyway ) Nothing but the best !
    Can't wait to follow you to your next adventure !
    More power , good luck and success !!!
    Cheering you on always,

    ReplyDelete